New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
new and need advice
1 Replies
srdmissouri - August 8

I'm 34 and have had fibro for years. My problem is finding a doc that will listen to me and take my complaints of pain seriously and be willing to treat the pain. I have done everything various docs have told me to do -- trigger point injections, Elavil, Cymbalta, Lyrica, anti-inflammatories, chiropractic, physical therapy, TENS unit, ultrasound...the whole gamit, but none have been willing to give me any pain meds. I have gone from being a "super-mom", taking care of 2 special needs kids while working full-time, playing in a band, and going to college to just sitting on the couch feeling sorry for myself and thinking that this is never going to get any better and that I should just give in to it. I live about 1/2-way between St. Louis and Memphis, and was wondering if anyone out there knows any fibro-friendly docs in either of those cities? Every doc I have consulted in the small town that I live in has either treated me like a hypochondriac, told me I was just depressed, or acted like I was a common drug-seeker. Any info would help a lot. I don't know how to make a doc understand that I am NOT asking for pain medication for any reason other than just wanting to get back SOME of the function and quality of life that I used to have. I've tried everything else that I know to do. Any ideas?


Fantod - August 8

Hello srmissouri,

Like most of us, it sounds like you have been through the wringer. Have you tried Savella for Fibromyalgia (FMS)? It is new to the US market this year. It has been used in Europe for quite sometime with good results. Some folks on this board are using it and have had good results.

You could go to the National Fibromyalgia Association website and register. Then you will be able to see a list of healthcare providers in your state. You could also call the physician referral service of the nearest large hospital to see if there is a rheumotologist and/or a pain specialist on staff that treats FMS.

I am also wondering about your diet. If you are eating deep fried foods, lunch meats (nitrates) and using anything with an artifical sweetener (including Splenda) your pain levels will be increased. All of these items should be avoided as much as possible . If you need an artifical sweetner for coffee you can use Truvia which can be found in any decent grocery store right next to the Sweet and Low. It is made from the stevia plant and not toxic to humans.

Another option would be to find a functional medicine doctor. These are MD's who are also experts in homeopathic medicine. This might be a tall order since you live in a small town. However, I think that you will have to travel to find someone to help you. A major metro area should have some holistic doctors. Some of them take insurance and some don't. I think you need a fresh set of eyes to take a look at your history and start over whether that person is a new rheumotologist, pain specialist or a functional medicine guru.

I hope my comments are helpful to you in some way. I hope that you find the assistance that you need. Take care.



You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?