New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
need Dr. in Flint Michigan area Please my last hope
7 Replies
trixiemyrtle - September 30

I dont know where to turn, need family dr, who deals with fibro, the nurve pain,numbness,vision prob.,tiredness.migrains,IBS, spasms,stiff joints,swelling,purple finger tips,hip pain,depression,cring,thoughts of succide, please someone from this area give me a name of docter who cars I have health plus of michigan HMO I geuss all of you are my last chance


Stacey373 - September 30

Hi Trixie - I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I'm gonna try to help you...give you some suggestions....and let's hope this helps.

I don't live in Michigan...actually I'm in Washington state. But I think (maybe...hopefully?)there is a lady on here who does live in Michigan...her name is Fantod. She's extremely knowledgeable when it comes to all this stuff and hopefully she will see your post the next time she gets on here.

You asked in another post about getting your medical records? From what I understand, it's as easy as requesting a copy of your records from your doctor or doctors. They can't tell you no...they are YOUR records and you have every right to get a copy of them. Maybe if you talk to someone that works in the records department and explain to them that you desperately need them ASAP....they will be more willing to help you.

As for finding a probably need to see a Rheumatologist who specializes in Fibro. I only see my family doctor (she's actually a Nurse Practitioner) but normally a family doctor isn't going to be as knowledgeable and they will usually refer you to a specialist.

You can try looking for a doctor on the internet by typing in Rheumatologist and your city. Or maybe even try typing in just Fibromyalgia and your city and see what comes up. You can also call your local hospital referral service and they should be able to give you some specialists names for your area. If you have tried all the doctors in your area...try calling another city or town that is close to yours. I actually had to go to a different town and it's a very small town (main street is about 3 blocks long!) and I finally found a good doctor to treat me there! (big surprise!)

That's all I can think of right now. If I think of something else I will let you know. Take Care, Stacey :o)


deadgamegrrl - September 30

Trixie - go to the National Fibromyalgia Association website (google fmaware) it won't let me post the link. Under resources there is a list of fibro-friendly drs. There are several listed for Flint. If these don't work out maybe some listed for nearby locations will.
You sound really depressed (totally undertandable). If you can't get in w/a doc to treat your pain right now, maybe you vcouldv get in to get started on an antidepressant. Cymbalta is used by many fibro patients as it can help w/the pain as well, but not everyone can take it (I can't). If you can get the depression to lift, it may help a bit in dealing w/the fatigue & the pain. Take care, hang in there & let us know how you are doing.


trixiemyrtle - September 30

Oh I got my letter the long term disability insurence that I paid into at work and the Doctoor that reveiwed my records see's no reson that I should be off work driving a school bus full of children,so know Im sure my work will fire me,because of what he had to say, but I geuss If thats the case, then thats the way it has to be, becuase I refus to take those kids lives in my hands, I love them all to much, I found another family care dr, have to set up an apt and hope he will refer me to a rheumatologist, the letter basically says im crazy and there is nothing wrong with me and nothing that should stop me from driving a school bus full of children, I wonder if he stands by his word and is comfertable putting his chlildren on my bus, I so devastated right now by his letter.any advice


Fantod - October 1

Trixie - Unfortunately, there are still a lot of doctors (specialists included) who think that Fibromyalgia (FMS) is a figment of our collective imaginations. The doctor who reveiwed your records is clearly one of them.

And, I am sure that is routine for the disability insurance company to deny claims on the first go around. If you don't keep fighting, they keep all of the money that you have paind in for this benefit. Shame on them but that, unfortunately, seems to be how the world works these days.

deadgamegirl is correct that you should go to the National Fibromyalgia Association website and look at the list of fibro-friendly doctors in Michigan. I live in metro Detroit so I am not going to be able to make a specific recommendation for your area. You can also call your local hospital and ask for the physician referral service. Ask them which rhuemotologists on their staff have an interest in Fibromyalgia (FMS). That will give you a couple of options. You really do need a rheumotologist to make sure that it is FMS and not something else. A regular doctor is really not the best choice to be treating this rather complicated syndrome. Here is a brief synopsis of how FMS works which will explain why you feel so terrible:

FMS is a disorder of the central nervous system that causes widespread, chronic pain. It is correctly referred to as a syndrome. The mechanism that causes it is not understood. There is no cure but it can be managed with certain classes of prescribed medication. FMS is recognized by the National Arthritis Foundation, the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control. Over the counter remedies do not work for the type of pain associated with FMS. You would only be damaging your liver and stomach by relying on Aleve or Tylenol.

This website has some of the most comprehensive information about FMS on the Internet. Take some time to read through all of the information contained in the blue boxes on the left-hand side of the website page. There is excellent concise information on FMS and the many "perks" that can be associated with it. The “perks” include Restless Leg Syndrome, Raynauds, GERD, skin problems and a host of other conditions. You should also read through the posts to learn about what other people experience and how they deal with it. I think that the key is to become educated as possible about FMS. Knowledge is power.

If you don't want to share this website with your family and friends to get them on board, there are a couple of other options. Go to the National Arthritis Foundation web site and use the "search" function to find the information on FMS. Send the link to friends and family. Go online to Amazon and purchase "Fibromyalgia for Dummies." It will have good basic information like any of the other books in the Dummies series. Read it yourself and pass it around.

It is very common for people with FMS to have friends and family who refuse to accept the limitations placed on a person who has this syndrome. Pain is subjective. For some people, if they can not see it, the problem must not exist. You are going to have to learn to ask for help, stand your ground, say 'No" and mean it and not feel guilty about it. And, most importantly, be grateful for everything that you can do as opposed to dwelling on the losses.

It is normal to be in denial after this diagnosis. There is a grieving process that goes along with learning to live with a chronic illness like FMS. And, a high level of anxiety is also very common. If you find that you can not work your way out of it in a reasonable amount of time, please consider seeing a counselor for extra support. Many of us, me included see someone and find it extremely helpful. You should try and find someone who has experience in treating chronic illness patients.

A rheumatologist is the doctor best suited to help you manage your symptoms and rule out other causes for your illness. Keep a log of your symptoms prior to your appointment so you can show the doctor what you experience on a day to day basis. I am reasonably sure that you probably have Raynauds too because you have decribed having blue finger tips. And possibly bursitis because of the hip pain that you describe. You may want to take someone with you to the appointment to help you remember what was said during the visit.

There are now three prescribed medications to treat the pain of FMS. Lyrica is one them. The most common complaint about Lyrica seems to be rapid weight gain. Unfortunately, many rheumatologists are not proactive about changing medication when this problem becomes apparent. The second option is Cymbalata which is an antidepressant. Cymbalata addresses both the pain and depression that usually accompanies FMS. I use that myself and have had good results. The newest medication has been used in Europe for decades. Savella (also known as Milnacipran) was approved for use in the USA by the FDA last year. Many people seem to have good results with it. It takes time and a lot of tinkering to find the right dosage and medications to make you feel more comfortable. Patience is key when starting a medication regimen for FMS.

The longer a chronic pain cycle continues, the harder it becomes to manage or stop. It is very important to take your medication as prescribed. Also, You might want to consider finding a pain specialist with an interest in FMS. I have a rheumatologist and a pain specialist that work in tandem with one another. As I suggested, you can call your local hospital physician referral service and see if they can recommend someone.

Have you been tested for a vitamin D deficiency? This is done with a simple blood test. Many people with FMS are deficient in vitamin D. I'd also like to suggest that you be tested for gluten sensitivity. The most accurate result is obtained using a stool sample. It is entirely possible to be gluten sensitive without having Celiac Disease. Either of these issues can also cause widespread pain.

One of the reasons you are so sore and tired is a lack of restorative sleep. FMS interrupts the deep sleep cycle with short bursts of high intensity brain activity. Your muscles need deep sleep in order to repair themselves from the day’s activities. No deep sleep means higher levels of pain which rapidly becomes a vicious circle. Restoring some level of deep sleep is a crucial part of treating FMS. You should be on a sleep aid like Amitriptyline to help with this issue.

Some people with FMS are very sensitive to touch. This is called “Allydonia.” Pressure from clothing, watchbands and anything that touches the skin may be uncomfortable. There is no solution to this issue other than to find clothing that feels comfortable. I have Allydonia but some days I am less sensitive and can wear whatever I want.

With regards to diet, if you use anything containing an artificial sweetener, get rid of it. If you require a sweetener, use something made from the nontoxic Stevia plant. Truvia or Sun Crystals are available right alongside the other sweetners at the grocery store. Avoid deep fried food, lunchmeat, bacon and wine (nitrates) as they will probably increase your pain level too.

The key to living with FMS is learning to pace yourself. If you overdo anything, the payback can take days or even weeks to get over. You can still do many of the same things but you have to think outside the box. Break tasks down into more manageable increments. Get plenty of rest, watch your diet and eat high protein to prevent huge energy swings. If I have an event that I want to attend, I "save up" energy by reducing other activities. Even then, I may have to curtail my participation. But, in my estimation, something is better than nothing.

With regards to obtaining your medical records, the doctors are required to provide them. You may be better off to make the request in writing. But, there is absolutely no reason for them not be given to you upon request. They are, afterall, your medical history/records.

And finally, you are not alone. This is a great site for support, information, to ask questions and just vent. I hope that my comments are helpful to you in some way. Take care and God Bless.


Fantod - October 1

trixiemyrtle - Here is the list of fibro-friendly doctors in Flint that was on the National Fibromyalgia Association website. I hope one of them might be in your network. Take care.

Edward J. Conley, DO

G3494 Beecher Rd.

Flint MI 48532


James C. Culver, MD, PC

G5202 Miller Road

Flint MI 48502


Gerald D. Natzke, DO

G2284 South Ballenger Highway

Flint MI 48532


Kevin B. Stachowiak, MSW, MA, LLP

2110 W. Hill Road

Flint MI 48507



Fantod - October 1

trixiemyrtle - I googled "flint fibromyalgia" and this is what I came up with. Dr Conley (family doctor) also appears on the list from the National Fibromaylgia Association website list:

Edward Conley practices as a Family Doctor at Fatigue & Fibromyalgia Clinic in Flint, MI.


Family Doctor

State Univ, Coll Of Osteo Med, East Lansing Mi 48824

& Fibromyalgia Clinic


& Fibromyalgia Clinic is a family doctor office located in Flint, MI. A family doctor is a general practitioner who treats most family members from children to adults.

Edward Conley, DO in Flint, MI may treat physical symptoms, prescribe medications, diagnose conditions and much more.

Please call Edward Conley, DO at (810) 230-8677 to schedule an appointment in Flint, MI or to get more information.


trixiemyrtle - October 12

Ok for all that tried to help! Thanks But I need to try something else, did everything you goes said. signed up with new dr. with else plus. called to get apt and they say what meds are you on, and they say we have to run all patient through doc first and we will call back NO Call. i called dr. conley he does not take insurence cash only. the others are allergy doctors and one a counsler. I called all hospitals patient referrals service and no luck with them either,everyone just keeps saying I guess you have to go back to work, well no I dont, because im not chancing killing children in my care while driving them on a school takes a alot of mental alertness and many other things that I cant do. Im lucky to get a shower and eat, sight issues, fibro fog pain and itching and so many more issues im sure you know. I dont know where to start, do ill tell my employers i will not be coming back or what? I know i just need a doctor that will send me to be dienosed . but i cant even find a doctor



You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?