New to the forum?

Sign Up Here!

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Convincing the Doctor I have Fibromyalgia?
5 Replies
loiuse - September 21

Ok,, I have had symptoms for almost 10 years. After this long I know they are getting worse, and each year I note new symptoms. The fatigue is farf worse now and the weakness and headaches and now I have muscle spasms and my mental aptitude is worrisome. I feel like a crazy person I have so many symptoms I am embrassed to address these with the doctors. Each doctor wants a 30 second breakdown of 10 years worth of symptoms! They don't seem to communicate. All in all, they all tell me MIGRAINES. When do migraines cause SO MANY symptoms? I have migraines, mentrual problems, the muscle weakness, fatigue, dental problems, eyesight problems, memory and cognitive problems, circulatory problems, high blood pressure, swelling, depression (mostly cause since I can't get a diagnosis past migraines), chronic sinusitis, and many other symptoms. I want my doctor to just say I have this so I can move on. I know I have fibromyalgia. It just makes sense with all the symptoms I have. But he looks at the blood tests, mri's, gi's, and other tests and sees very little. They found minor things wrong with the brain and liver. I have the blood pressure and circulatory problems including Raynauds, I have chronic fatigue, and they did find a small cyst on my liver. But overall I seem healthy on paper. I just can't get them to ok this self diagnosis. What should I say to my doctors???? I have done SO MUCH research and finally come to this.... but proving it is difficult!!!!!


greeneyedlady138 - December 6

Have you seen a Rheumatologist? A good Rheumatologist will perform diagnostic testing to rule out other causes for the symptoms before giving a definitive diagnosis. It has taken me more than 20 years to get the diagnosis. My Rheumatologist tested me for everything from Lupus to RA (which I also have and had been diagnosed 15 years ago).


Fantod - December 6

Hello - I am s orry to hear that you are having such a hard time with your medical issues. Have you seen a rheumotologist? Based on your description you may very well have fibromyalgia (FMS) but your primary doctor apparently does not acknowledge it. To find a fibro-friendly rheumy go to the National Fibromyalgia Association website and ask them for a referral in your area. Another option would be to call your local hospital physician referral service and ask them for one. There are still a lot of doctors out there that refuse to recognize FMS as a valid medical condition. I hope that you find my sugestions helpful. Take care.


rycer - December 9

First, off sorry to hear about your problems, I can relate as I have had health issues over the last 1 1/2 years - Have you ever gone to a chriropractor? osteopathic dr maybe? look into this if you have the insurance - also, do you have a TMJ problem that you know of? that might be worth looking into as well - Lastly, look into the types of food your eating - anything short of fruits and vegetables wrecks havoc on the liver, trust me I know on this one.


from-fibro-2-college - December 11

There are no xrays or blood tests that will diagnose FM. A good Rhematologist or in some cases, just a good family doctor as I was lucky enough to have, will perform a clinical observation involving the 18 points of pain testing. Basically poking and pushing in these general pressure points of the body to find the diagnosis. These of course are considered with other symptons you will need to discuss with the doctor of your choice. Don't give up, and by all means never let a physician convince you of something you know is not true. You're the only one who truly knows what and how you are feeling. If you don't get results from the doctor you are seeing already, change doctors. Eventually, someone will listen. I found great luck with a local Pain Clinic, and had a very open-minded and caring family doctor. Good luck to you and God bless.


13tracy13 - December 19

My suggestion would be to find a rheumatologist who understands fibro. Take your medical records and make a list of all your symptoms and medical problems you are having. A good rheumatologist is your best bet, and should work with you to find a diagnosis.



You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?