Top 10 Questions To Ask Your Doctor About Fibromyalgia
Speaking to your doctor frankly about any questions or concerns you have about your fibromyalgia diagnosis is central to receiving proper fibromyalgia medical treatment. As such, asking your health care provider questions about fibromyalgia syndrome is important as it enables you to take an active role in your fibromyalgia care. In addition, because each fibromyalgia patient has a unique medical history, asking questions helps to ensure you receive the treatment that is right for you. Read on for the top 10 questions to ask your doctor about fibromyalgia syndrome.
Questions to Ask About Fibromyalgia Syndrome
The following are important questions to ask your health care provider at the time of your diagnosis or shortly thereafter:
- How do I know I have fibromyalgia? Ask about whether other fibromyalgia related conditions, such as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and Lyme disease. Inquire also about the causes of your fibromyalgia.
- What fibromyalgia medications do you recommend? Learn about the latest treatment options for fibromyalgia, including what side effects and risks may be associated with these treatments. Ask your doctor about how many past patients she has treated with these medications and how successful they have been.
- What medications, foods and activities do you recommend I avoid? Ask about which elements negatively affect your fibromyalgia treatment, such as a poor diet or strenuous exercise. Ask about which elements, such as a healthy fibromyalgia diet, can help.
- What types of exercise can help to minimize my fibromyalgia symptoms? Inquire about activities such as stretching and aerobics that can help you ease common fibromyalgia symptoms like fatigue and muscle weakness and twitching. You should also inquire about how your daily activities will change.
- Are there alternative fibromyalgia therapies that you can recommend? Find out about alternative treatment options, such as biofeedback and acupuncture, that can complement your fibromyalgia medical treatment.
- Do you have any suggestions on how to explain my condition to family, friends and coworkers? Your doctor can often provide advice on how to tell your loved ones about fibromyalgia.
- Are there any stress management activities that you can recommend? Making simple lifestyle changes, such as incorporating yoga or meditation into your daily routine, can help ease fibro symptoms.
- Do you recommend counseling? Ask about some of the benefits of counseling for your treatment, as well as whether seeing a fibromyalgia specialist is recommended.
- What support groups can you recommend? Learn about fibromyalgia support groups in your community as well as online fibro communities that can help you cope with the daily challenges of living with fibromyalgia.
- Are there any clinical trials that I can be a part of? Participating in clinical trials is a great way to have access to the latest fibromyalgia treatments; discuss with your health care provider the benefits of participating in such a trial for your particular case.
Don’t be afraid to ask these questions or to ask for clarification as needed, and inquire about where you can find more information; you are entitled to being an active participant in your fibromyalgia treatment and this will help you get the best fibromyalgia treatment possible. Speaking with your health care provider openly and regularly is an integral part of achieving this goal.