New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Shortness of breath :(
7 Replies
Crystallinegreen - July 6

I was recently diagnosed with Fibro. I am out of breath just walking. Even after one flight of stairs I am trying to catch my breath. I am young and in pretty good shape, nor am I overweight. Does anyone else have this problem? I was also just put on Savella and Elavil. At first it seemed like the Elavil was helping me sleep, but now I am wondering if it is causing some of the breathing problems. The Savella has seemed to rid me of my awful nausea (thank goodness!)
Anyone else experiencing the same issues with difficulty breathing?
I do work nights at a sleep clinic, so I know my schedule is out of whack and could be contributing to my lack of energy, but know that the odd work schedule is not causing the breathing issues! Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

~Crystalline~

axxie - July 7

Hello Crystallinegreen

Know what you are talking about, have you ever thought that maybe you are B12 Deficient, it's a serious condition that affects you with work, family and social life.

Get yourself to the pharmacy and get yourself on a vitamin B complex that has B vitamins; vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, and B12 / thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), pantothenic acid (B5), pyridoxine (B6), biotin (B7), folic acid or folate (B9), cobalamin (B12)

B vitamins influence several important bodily functions:

Vitamin B1 (thiamin) and vitamin B2 (riboflavin) help the body produce energy and affect enzymes that influence the muscles, nerves, and heart.
Vitamin B3 (niacin) has a role in energy production in cells and in maintaining the health of the skin, nervous system, and digestive system. Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) influences normal growth and development. Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) helps the body break down protein and helps maintain the health of red blood cells, the nervous system, and parts of the immune system. Vitamin B7 (biotin) helps break down protein and carbohydrates and helps the body make hormones. Vitamin B9 (folic acid) helps the cells in the body make and maintain DNA and is important in the production of red blood cells.
Vitamin B12 (cobalamin) plays a role in the body's growth and development.

It also has a part in producing blood cells, the functions of the nervous system, and how the body uses folic acid and carbohydrates.

Deficiency of certain B vitamins can cause anemia, tiredness, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, depression, numbness and tingling in the arms and legs, muscle cramps, respiratory infections, hair loss, eczema, poor growth in children, and birth defects in the fetuses of pregnant women.

One more thing do add a multi vitamin that has iron you need that along with your complex vitamin b's. Just remember that vitamin b's are water soluble so whatever you take in, you need replace the next day but iron is not water soluble.

Good luck to you Crystalline

From a sufferer of fibro and vitamin b defiency.

Crystallinegreen - July 11

Thank you so much for the info! I never thought about being deficient in Vit B. My mom was deficient when she was younger and had to take B12 shots. I will definitely start taking some supplements. I actually used to take a B complex and a multi vit. and stopped a few months ago (why I don't know). I will also mention it to my doctor.

Thanks again!

Crystalline

fibrofreaked - August 4

Please have your iron levels checked. I just found I was anemic. I had excercised almost every day and suddenly found I couldn't walk a set of stairs, or sing along with the song on the radio. I am a teacher and I spent the first to months of summer on the couch. I went to my doctor and found I was anemic and also diagnosed with fibro. I read about iron deficiency on line and found how your body doesn't absorb O2 oxygen correctly when your iron levels are low.
After a month on iron pills and about 11 days on Savella, I am feeling human again. (I was on cymbalta for 10 days before the leg cramps, and blurry vision drove me to try Savella).

bmcgovern - October 22

Hello Crystallinegreen,

I also have shortness of breath, I am also in good shape and i do go workout, but i have noticed when i work out i struggle to breathe. I have found something that helps a bit. It's called Herbal Expectorant. You can get it at any Whole Foods store.

littlemom - November 18

I was diagnosed with fibro and i've been having trouble breathing but doctor says it isn't related to fibro.

snowflurree - January 29

Yes, I have the out of breath thing, especially when my upper back and muscles are hurting so bad. It feels like someone is trying to squeeze my ribcage in a vise and causes me to have shortness of breath and chest pain. This only happens when I am having a great ammount of pain.Try to stick with the Sevella as my daughter also has FM and said that the Sevella has helped her tremendously. I can't take because I have high blood pressure.

Jerica - February 19

I have a book here called Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain a Survival Manual which does state that breathing problems are common with fibro and it even says that people with fibro can experience bouts of severe shortness of breath. I've been having this on and off, on and off and I've had tons of tests for my heart and many other things and all of those come out fine so it has to be FIBRO. Also look into TMS, tension myositis syndrome and Dr Sarno's books on this because it explains a lot as well. If docs say that your shortness of breath or fatigue have nothing to do with fibro, I think they are just not well informed. Patients all over the web seem to have these same symptoms and shortness of breath is one. There are days I struggle with getting up the stairs and I'm huffing and puffing and other days I can run up and down the stairs 3 or 4 times and feel essentially ok. It comes and goes, very random. I've had pulmonary function tests, too. I had a stress test just 4 months ago and felt better AFTER it than before it.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question