Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
New here!
10 Replies
smallkate101 - August 2

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself. I am 24 years old and I have had all over pain for as long as I can remember. For me, the fibrmyalgia was hereditary since my mom also has all the same symptoms that I do. I have swelling in my fingers all the time to the point that sometimes I can't get my weddin ring on!
I have chronic neck and shoulder pain and I am pretty sure I have TMJ also but I haven't had it diagnosed. I have IBS, interstitial cystitis, irregular heartbeat and of course the usual muscle twitches and all the other fun things that come with fibro.
I am not currently on any meds except for my heart medication due to not having insurance for a long time. I am currently working with doctors to get a definitive diagnosis. As you all can imagine, no meds means lots of pain! I work full time and at the end of the day my entire body aches. What makes it worse is that I still have the ache when I wake up an I still have to go to work. Does anyone else notice that they still ache the next day from whatever hurt the day before?
Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself!

Stacey373 - August 3

Hi Kate! I don't have insurance either. My husband was laid-off over a year ago and we lost our insurance back in January. Between my Fibro problems and my 2 girls who have ADHD, it's been quite expensive! here's some of the things I've been doing to keep costs down...

My doctor and my girl's doctor are still seeing us, except on a cash basis. Because I pay cash same-day, we get a discount, so an appt. only costs me about $50 a visit. My local "small town" pharmacy has a prescription program that I signed up for all 3 of us and we get our meds for about 1/2 the normal price. It's still pretty expensive, just my girl's meds cost a total of $300 a month, but at least I'm not paying full price! you can also talk to your doctor about getting prescription help through the company that makes it. You just fill out the paperwork and they send it in and you can get some of your meds for a lower price or even for free. I know that Neurontin and Lexapro are 2 that offer this. So far I haven't had to pay for my Lexapro because my doctor gives me a small bag of samples every time I see her...which is also another option you could talk to your doctor about.

You asked if any of us have problems the next day? YES! Alot of times I will actually feel worse the next morning, even if I slept good all night. One thing you should do, if you don't already, is get some OTC sleeping meds. They don't work as well as prescription meds, but they are better than nothing. I've been taking Nyquil Cough every night and it helps me to sleep along with the other meds I take. The cough formula doesn't have any tylenol in it, which my pain pills do, so I don't want to take more tylenol at night too. But if you aren't taking a bunch of Tylenol during the could try taking the regular Nyquil or even Tylenol PM. it might help you to sleep plus maybe help with the pain the next morning. It's at least worth a try!

Welcome to the Group and I hope this information helps you a little. Take Care, Stacey :o)

smallkate101 - August 9

Hi Stacey!
I have yet to be able to get any meds for my pain but I am hoping to get to see my pcp for my fibro soon. I recently started working for a new company and I now have benefits so I am definitely going to use them! It however, is a struggle for me to even get through an 8 hour shift let alone an entire 40 hour work week! Do you notice that your legs and feet ache after being on them for a long time? I have awful pain in my legs and feet and then the next day I have to go right back to work when my feet are already hurting! I just feel like crying sometimes! I am hoping to be able to get a better paying job that allows me to work less hours but that might be wishful thinking on my part lol.
So anyway, thanks for the reply and it is nice to have someone that knows what I am going through!

kentucky girl - August 9

Welcome smallkate 101

I think that you will find that you will get a lot of helpful information from the forum. Everybody suffers differently, but there is probably someone that has a lot of the problems that you do. That's what's so great about this site.

Again, welcome!

Kentucky girl

Stacey373 - August 9

Hi kate! I'm glad that you got insurance again! I don't work...I've been a stay at home Mom for about 12 years now. I did try working a couple of years ago, it was absolutely horrible! The first reason was because my last job all those many years ago, I was the field office manager for a major construction company. I had lots of responsibility and it was an extremely fast paced stressful job...I loved it!

So trying to do an extremely boring job starting out on the very bottom...I couldn't handle it! But...I also couldn't handle all the fibro problems and working. I get constant headaches and migraines and I'm just not the most reliable after about 3 months I quit that job! asked if my legs and feet hurt after being on them? OMG! You have no idea how much! (wait, yes, you probably do know how much! LOL) My most favorite thing to do is go shopping. But I can't even handle going to the mall for any period of time anymore. If I'm on my feet for more than an hour, my back will start aching super bad, and my legs and feet will hurt really bad. I've got a teenager and a daughter who "thinks" she's a teenager....of course, they both want to go shopping at the mall for school clothes. We literally will have to figure out what stores we are going to and then go to them and not hang around looking and whatever.....just get what they want and get out of there! (thankfully they both just want to go to Hot Topic!)

Basically I can't take one day out to go shopping for their school clothes. I will have to do it in several trips...Even with grocery shopping I hurry up and get what we need because I know by the time I'm done...I will be dying and then I go home and sit on the couch the rest of the day.

It's hard to deal with this....I'm still pretty young (37) and I know I should still be able to do these things (like shopping all day) but physically I just can't do it anymore. Even my Mom who is 66 used to give me a hard time about not being able to "keep up with her" ...she can go all day long and I'm the one who needs to stop or quit and go home early!

Okay....I'm done rambling! Take Care, Stacey :o)

smallkate101 - August 11

Hi Stacey,
it is so nice to hear that someone else has the same issues that I do! I went on a trip with my husband and my inlaws and my mother in law kept looking at me like i was crazy cause I was almost in tears after walking around shopping for 3 hours.... it was like walking on broken glass and adding the pain in my back and legs were unbearable. My feet were enormous when we finally came home and I now try to avoid trips at all costs! It's awful =(

Stacey373 - August 14

Hi Kate! i was just thinking how much it sucks to have to either not do something you want to do or going ahead and doing it and then paying for it later.

Yesterday we took our 3 kids plus 3 more for a total of 6 kids to the county fair yesterday. I honestly didn't think I did "too much". I even found a bench in the shade and we spent most of the evening there while the kids were running around and riding the rides.

Today I literally feel like I've been hit by a truck.....and then dragged behind it for a few miles! I swear EVERY muscle in my body is hurting! But I have to admit...It was SO worth it. the kids had a blast and it's the one "fun thing" they can count on doing every summer.

I really hope you are having a good weekend....Take Care, Stacey :o)

solanadelfina - August 14

Hello, Kate, and welcome aboard.

I wanted to ask- what kind of shoes do you wear? Do they have some good support? It's hard to believe how much of a difference it makes. I work in retail and have also been dealing with plantar fasciitis, and it can get to be a lot. The Sketchers Shape Ups have incredible support, though they can be a bit ouchy for the first few days. My podiatrist also suggested some insoles called Super Feet to put in my regular shoes, which have also been a huge help. I will also soak my feet in cold water with bath salts for about ten minutes, and some massage with a handheld infrared unit can also feel wonderful. Doing some foot/calf stretches during work can also keep things loose.

Congrats on getting the benefits!

smallkate101 - August 20

Hi Solandelfina!
You know I wear sketchers but I don't have insoles for them. I have tried many different insoles but they always seem to irritate my feet. I even went to a good feet store and they can make some special insoles for me but they would be 500 dollars! The good thing is that they have a lifetime warranty so whe they wear out they make you a new pair at no cost but even then! That's a lot of money. I do need to get some help though. The sketchers dont seem too bad, they are the best that I have found but I need some extra help I think. Anyway, thanks for the response!

smallkate101 - August 20

Hi Stacey!
I'm sorry to hear you were in so much pain when you went to the fair, but it is funny how when you are doing something that you enjoy, it almost makes the pain worth it!
Hope you have a good weekend!

Stacey373 - August 21

Hi Kate!
I've been dealing with my lower back, knee, leg, and ankle hurting alot lately. From my knee down to my foot has been aching SO bad that I couldn't even sleep a couple of nights. The other day I started rubbing my leg, ankle, and foot to try to relieve some of the pain and aching. I hit a spot in my foot that literally shot pain up into my knee and then the back of my leg and into my back. I was SO surprised that this happened!

I know alot of things end up in your feet or maybe even start in the feet and work their way up into the rest of your body. But I couldn't believe that this one little spot was actually shooting pain into my back!

So I guess wearing the right shoes and the insoles or whatever really do make a difference! Just wanted to tell you that maybe the next time your back is hurting really bad...try rubbing your feet and see if it helps!

Take Care, Stacey :o)

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question