New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Leukemia & Fobromyalgia
3 Replies
Ena - May 30

Hey , I received an article about the subject above , and 95% of patients have Leukemia, could any one feed me back ?
I am afraid so much
and tell me plz what to do?

Fantod - May 30

Ena - Where did you see this article? Not everything you read is true especially on the Internet. Fibromyalgia (FMS) does NOT cause leukemia. Read the information in the blue boxes on left side of this page. The information there is all true. Take care.

Ena - May 31

Chronic Fatigue
Then there are people doing the rounds of physicians while trying to figure out why they are so fatigued and can't get a good night's sleep. They may never realize that what's really bugging them is fibromyalgia. Many physicians diagnose fibromyalgia patients with chronic fatigue syndrome when their symptoms are quite typical of fibromyalgia alone.

The medical community still has a ways to go in understanding both conditions: fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. But the truth is that it's very possible to suffer from both at once. It is believed that 20%-30% of all fibromyalgia patients have chronic fatigue syndrome, too. Meantime 35% of all chronic fatigue patients have coexisting fibromyalgia. Some experts think that chronic fatigue syndrome may be in a kind of sub-category for fibromyalgia.

XMRV Test
Lending some strength to the idea of a relationship between fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome is the fact that the Xenotropic Murine Leukemia-Related Virus (XMRV) is found in 95% of all chronic fatigue sufferers and a great many patients suffering from fibromyalgia as well as certain other diseases, such as in atypical multiple sclerosis. Now a new diagnostic test has become available to screen for XMRV.

Physicians can use the test when they suspect a patient may have chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, or multiple sclerosis for instance, since a positive result would add to the burden of proof for these difficult to diagnose diseases. But consumers will also be able to purchase the diagnostic kit and will find that a positive result will be helpful in countering their anguish at being told by their physicians that their chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia symptoms are, "all in their heads."

lucky13 - July 23

from what I can find, XMRV is not Leukemia, it is "like" leukemia, XMRV is a retrovirius. Now I have read that XMRV can cause prostate cancer, but fibro effects more women then men, and women don't have to worry about prostate cancer since we don't have a prostate.
A retrovirius can cause cancers such as leukemia, but I have not found anything yet that says this type or retrovirus(XMRV) actually causes it. HIV/AIDS is also a retrovirius, but again, just because it is a retrovirus does not mean that fibro paients have it, it's just a category of virius.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question