New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
trigger point injections
14 Replies
smurf - January 19

I have read a bit on this forum on trigger point injections. I have an appointment tomorrow to get one in my left arm but I am really scared. I am having a really hard time with my hands and as the weather gets colder I am really suffering. My dr. suggested that we try it starting with one injection and see how it goes. I have 2 little boys and even cuddling with them hurts me now. I am worried that it may make it even worse. Has anyone had any experiences that they can share?
Thanks
smurf

Fantod - January 19

I had a series of trigger point injections in my lower back. If I can survive 12 at one time, one should be a piece of cake.

Take an ice pack with you to apply to the injection site. I also used a sports rub on the injection sites when I got home. That seemed to help with the general soreness. It might take a couple of days for the soreness to wear off but for me it was well worth the process.

Trigger point injections break the pain cycle. I had relief from my situation for the first time in months. The "cure" lasted about 6 months which was an added bonus.

I think you'll do fine. Take care.

smurf - January 19

Fantod
Thank you for your quick responce. I feel much better about it now. What exactly was in your injections I have been reading about a few diff options?

Fantod - January 19

My injections consisted of lidociane followed by an injection of Sarapin. Sarapin is a derivative of the pitcher plant and has been around for over 70 years. It is not well known outside of the holistic community although my rheumotologist uses it. It is nontoxic to tissue so it can be used at regular intervals unlike cortisone. It is an extremely effective pain killer. There are no known side effects. I had relief for 6 months.

You can find information about Sarapin online. This would be a good opportunity to educate your doctor about it. Also, no one with an autoimmune disorder should be exposed to steroids like cortisone unless it is absolutely necessary (like asthma inflammation and for the shortest time possible. Steroids compromise the immune system which is already weakened in someone who has FMS. I don;t know what your doctor is planning to use - this is just something to consider.

I hope your injection helps. It will take a few days for the soreness to ear off but I think you'll find it is worthwhile. Take care.

smurf - January 19

Thank you once again for your response. I will talk to my dr. about it tomorrow. I was on steroids for over 4 months for inflammation... and I don't want it in my body again if at all possible. I am finally starting to look somewhat like my old self after being off it since lat April - sadly a little older. Having FM has really aged me. I will let you all know how it goes and once again I really appreciate the information.
Smurf

Fantod - January 19

Okay - now you have my attention. May I ask why you were on steroids for four months? There is no inflammation associated with FMS. Unless it was for an underlying condition like asthma, or arthitis they should not be used to treat FMS. And, four months is an outrageous amount of time to be on any steroid. I would be asking my doctor why this was necessary and probably refusing to consider that as a treatment option again. Steroids should be used in the smallest dose possible and for the shortest amount of time. Take care.

smurf - January 20

Thanks for your concern
It was an outrageous amount of time and did a number on me. I have underlying issues it was not for FM and many dr.s were on board with this including my rheumy. They were very concerned about me as well and this also included the weaning off time - which we did slowly and it felt like forever. It did help with the inflammation but as you mentioned this was a long time and it has been really difficult to get back to somewhat normal from it.

Noca - January 20

Id have nerve block injections but I wouldn't know where to start. My whole body aches.

stephanyb11 - January 20

wow i have never heard of this.. can u post when u r feeling up to it and let me know how it goes and what exactly it is? i would be interested to know more about this process!!! i am at a desperate point with my FM that i would try just about anything right now!!! i've been going to the chiropractor but it seems not to do me much good anymore.. i'm just lost with this dang illness right now...i hope it goes well for you!!!

Fantod - January 20

stephanyb11 -
A trigger point is a hyperirritable spot that is painful. It is called a trigger point because it "triggers" a painful response.

But a trigger point is more than a tender nodule. It affects not only the muscle where the trigger point is located, but also causes "referred pain" in tissues supplied by nerves.

Trigger points are located in a taut band of muscles fibers. The trigger point is the most tender point in the band. You can actually feel a knot or lump in the muscle which will not relax.

Trigger point injections are painful but they can be an effective way to relax the muscle and break the pain cycle. This is a common problem in people with FMS. You can find additional information under "associated conditions" inb the blue boxes on the lefthand side of this page. The topic will be right at the bottom of the list.

I hope that you are seeing someone other than a chiropractor for treatment. Take care.

stephanyb11 - January 20

thank you fantod, i am aware of what a trigger point is..i just had never heard of the trigger point injections. thank you for the info...you are very helpful in most all the threads i read!!! thank you for you knowledge and sharing it with all of us!!! you are really a blessing!!!
Thanks again
Steph

smurf - January 22

So I said I would let you all know how it goes. Well it didn't ): I have to go for an ultrasound of my shoulder arm... before I get any treatment. It may be inflammation and the dr. wants to make sure we are treating it properly. I'll let you know when I get it done how it goes when it happens.

1joyjoh0624 - January 25

I go every two weeks for Trigger Point Injections and get a series of shoots at a time. Each visit is for different areas. Icing is a must afterwards. It does take a couple of days for the soreness to wear off. I have so much muscle tightness and trigger points I will be in treatment for a while. My doctor only uses Lydocaine. I also have Arthritis and Costal Chondritis which are inflammatory conditions. Unfortunately, the doctors are dealing with the pain of the Fibro first. The injections are to break the cycle of pain. Good Luck!

teacherceo - February 8

I used to go in every six weeks for trigger point injections. I would get 20 to 40 shots in my back each session, and the injections would help quite a bit for about 3 weeks. The knots in my back and shoulder blade areas were so bad, though, that my muscles would actually make cracking noises when they were being injected. The injections were definitely not fun, but they did help tremendously. I would say that they are more helpful than harmful and are worth the extra pain...even when getting 20 to 40 at a time!

mimosette - February 9

What kind of cost is associated with this many injections ? Does regular health insurance usually cover it ? (blue cross)

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question