New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
bmcgovern - February 22

Does anyone else have TMJ? I was told i have the early start of it. I have braces and wear bands. My orthodontist is trying to correct my jaw. I have a lot of popping and sometimes locking only for a sec and then releases. When it pops it really doesn't hurt, but a couple days ago my jaw popped and this time it hurt. I am not sure if you can get pain in your jaw if your neck is really hurting does anyone know if that can cause some of the pain in the jaw? I also chew on one side and am not sure why. It's my left side and that is the side that pops a lot and locks up sometimes.If anyone has it what do you do to help the pain?

Fantod - February 23

If you look under "Associated Conditions" on the lefthand side of this page (blue boxes) you will find information on TMJ. It is also referred to as "TMD."

I have had it since the early 80's. I have had braces twice - once as a kid and again in my 40's. The second set of braces helped alot although getting through the process was not a lot of fun. I wear a bite splint on my upper teeth at night to keep my jaw relaxed. I also wear it immediately following any dental work or on a particularly stressful day. The splint must be checked and adjusted after any dental work.

TMJ affects not only the jaw but also your upper back, neck, shoulders and arms. It is very important that you are working with someone who really has a clear understanding of the problem.

And, yes, it can hurt and quite a bit at times. I take a hand towel and soak it in water. Leave the ends dry so you can wring it out. Put it in the microwave to warm it up. Moist heat is always better for this problem. You can also use any unscented sports rub on the sore area.

I hope that these comments are helpful to you. Take care.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question