Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Sleep Study!
4 Replies
belle1329 - January 13

They should call it NO SLEEP STUDY! UGH,
I did not sleep, very little! Awful experience, hooked up to all kinds of wires on your head and face and legs on camera all nite and small room with no windows. Vents in ceiling , and very dry air, had a nose bleed next morning. Hope to get some results in a few weeks, I hope it was worth it :(

Noca - January 13

Sounds uncomfortable. I couldn't sleep on a foreign mattress. I need my expensive comfy mattress to be able to sleep and awake without pain.

dkarssen79 - January 14

I don't know much about sleep studies. Just wondering what they look for when they do a sleep study. I had suggested one to my doctor but he didn't seem to think I need one, but I still have nights that I'm constantly waking up and other nights I feel like I sleep all night but wake up exhausted. I'm wondering if a sleep study might help figure out what's going on.

belle1329 - January 14

Hi Dekarrsen79
Copied from Web Md, pretty much says it..
Sleep studies are tests that watch what happens to your body during sleep. The studies are done to find out what is causing your sleep problems. Sleep problems include:

Sleep apnea, when an adult regularly stops breathing during sleep for 10 seconds or longer. This may be caused by blocked airflow during sleep, such as from narrowed airways. Or it may be caused by a problem with how the brain signals the breathing muscles to work.
Problems staying awake, such as narcolepsy.
Problems with nighttime behaviors, such as sleepwalking, night terrors, or bed-wetting.
Problems sleeping at night (insomnia). This may be caused by stress, depression, hunger, physical discomfort, or other problem.
Problems sleeping during the day because you work at night or do rotating shift work. This sleep problem is called shift work sleep disorder.
Conditions such as periodic limb movement disorder, which is repeated muscle twitching of the feet, arms, or legs during sleep.
Sleep studies can also determine whether you have a problem with your stages of sleep. The two stages of sleep are non-rapid eye movement (NREM) and rapid eye movement (REM). Normally, NREM and REM alternate 4 to 5 times during a night's sleep. A change in this cycle may make it hard for you to sleep soundly
The most common sleep studies are:
Polysomnogram. This test records several body functions during sleep, including brain activity, eye movement, oxygen and carbon dioxide blood levels, heart rate and rhythm, breathing rate and rhythm, the flow of air through your mouth and nose, snoring, body muscle movements, and chest and belly movement.... THIS IS WHAT I HAD DONE

Multiple sleep latency test (MSLT). This test measures how long it takes you to fall asleep. It also determines whether you enter REM sleep.
Maintenance of wakefulness test (MWT). This test measures whether you can stay awake during a time when you are normally awake.
ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I MADE OUT IN A FEW WEEKS

belle1329 - January 14

Hi Noca,
It was uncomfortable, and I did miss my comfy, soft expensive mattress. The one there was not bad, but I still did not like the thought of sleeping on a mattress that everyone else slept on,another reason why I hate hotels now,:), Hopefully some good will come out of it. Ill try almost anything to know why , and to get some sleep!

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question