New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Please HELP !!!!
5 Replies
julissawilson2011 - August 30

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 5 years ago by my Primary doctor. Back then, he gave me Tramadol and sent me on my way. A year later, I noticed that the pain was getting worse, and he then referred me to a Rheumotologist. The RHeumo doctor ran blood work, and I tested positive for Lupus, but the "numbers were too low" according to her to diagnose me with Lupus. Again, this second doctor gave me Tramadol, muscle relaxers, and sent me on my way. The rheumo didnt do any other tests to rule out any other conditions, no bone scans, no MRI nor CT Scan, nothing. That was about 3 years ago. Thru out these past 3 years, my leg muscle pain has gotten 100 times worse. It is so unbearable now, that I have given up hope that I will ever find what is wrong. I have sufferred from Deep Vein Thrombosis in the past(2002), and Im starting to wonder whether that has anything to do with it. I have read alot online, and i frankly dont know what to do anymore. The pain is in my gastronemius muscle (calf) and bicep femoris muscle (upper leg).. the strange thing is that both of my legs hurt in the exact sames spots, but the pain in my left leg is twice as bad as the right one. The pain does not improve no matter what I do. If I press right on top of either muscle, i can feel the muscles knotted up, it feels very hard, as if there is a "ball" underneath. Many times, I lay in bed at night and just cry myself to bed, not because of depression, but because the pain is to a level that I can not tolerate any longer. I have called my doctor and told her (Rheumo) that the pain meds she has me on, are not doing anything any more, and she states that if it gets to that level, for me to go to the Emergency Room. I want to know if anyone out there is going thru the same thing. I am desperate.

cincin - August 30

I think the first order is to find another dr who is not going to brush you off. One that will rule out DVT/Lupus or diagnose it and start proper treatment. Perhaps massage therapy in the mean time might help relieve the knots in your legs and reduce some pain.I wish I could be more helpful.

January - August 31

julissa - it sounds like you may be experiencing what we call trigger points. These are places where the muscles knot up permanently, trapping lactic acid. It's VERY painful - I had them in my back. You might need to find an anesthesiologist/pain management doctor for some help. Show them where the knots are. For me, I got injections of lidocaine in a very small bore needle - the doctor numbed me carefully as he went in slowly, and gave me many small injections in each knot. I also went for pretty strong massage on these areas. Strong pressure on the knots is very painful, but then the muscles release and it feels good! I only needed a few lidocaine treatments (I would not recommend steroid injections if someone offers you those). Lidocaine, with the massage, made the big knots (and the pain) go away, for me Others may have other stories or ideas. Google "trigger points," "trigger points chart" and "Janet Travell."

If our website member Pikespeak sees this post, she can probably give you some more insight as she knows a lot about trigger points… good luck with it. You can fix this, you don't have to suffer needlessly! You just have to find the right doctor - one who gives trigger point injections. But make sure you tell them your previous history of DVT!

fibrofriend - September 4

All of the suggestions here are good ones. I too often use heat on my neck and shoulders, sometimes on my knees and hands or wherever else I can wrap a soft heating pad.

The one thing I've discovered really works for me is self-massage. If my pain just keeps going for longer than short periods, I start massaging the muscles in that area. Sometimes in some areas (such as the longer, softer muscles in the arms and legs) I really have to dig into the knots, which can be painful at times, but I really find that in the long run it seems to release some of the knot and give me some relief. If you can afford massage therapy, that can be very good as well. I've run out of this resource so I have to do the best I can for myself and an occasional back massage from my boyfriend. I've also heard that acupuncture might be useful, and I plan to try this as soon as I can.

I've even used a sort of massage technique on my ribcage which seems to give me some relief. I just find the spaces in between my ribs and apply gentle pressure, moving along the spaces between my ribs. Sounds odd, I know, but it really has given me some relief when nothing else was working.

lucky13 - September 4

You need a new Dr. A good Dr wouldn't just treat the pain, they would treat the cause of the pain. What you described sounds to me like a Dr who does not understand fibro, let alone how to treat it.

The leg pain your feeling may be the Thrombosis made worse by FMS.
My pain and fatigue had gotten unbearable before I started treatment, but once I started the antidepressant it took about 4ish weeks and I noticed a difference, then I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and once I started treatment for that there was more improvement.

Find you a new dr and good luck with everything.

Nee_ster310 - September 11

My mother kind have went thru the same things that you went thru. She has had many doctors that shez been with. Now, My mother went to the a new doctor about 4 months ago and the doctor refereed my mom to go and order a product online to try for her fibro. Its an all natural product. She said this product has the highest antioxidants in the world. Its called Kyani. Well, I and my mother tried it at the same time with in the 2ed week I started not feeling the pain. For my mothers fibro it took a month and a half. Within the 3 weeks my mom started sleeping and it has been 14 years since she slept thru the night and now she is snoozing away. I asked the doctor if I can give this info to friends and family and she said its for everyone who would like to order. I call Kyani's customer service at #208-529-9872 #283378 my mom orders online at and give them the docs Distributor #283378 The three product that Dr. Baird let us know about is Nitro Extreme, kyani sunrise and kyani sunset. I just went ahead nd got my own membership #.This stuff truly works and wished that all doctors knew about this. Well Rahin, All I can say is try it for yourself. I cant believe that doctors dont know about this.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question