New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
pain management
8 Replies
carrie lee - November 7

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!!! I HOPE TODAY FINDS YOU ALL AT THE BEST YOU CAN BE. THAT BEING SAID I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED, I WENT TO MY PAIN DOC YESTERDAY{ACTUALLY HIS PARTNER} BECAUSE I HAD BEEN IN LEVEL 10 PAIN ALL WEEKEND IN MY LOWER BACK, I LIKE MANY OF YOU HAVE A CABINENT FULL OF MEDS THAT"DONT WOR" THIS LADY TOLD ME IF I WAS GAUGING THE MED ON WHETHER OR NOT IT TOOK THE PAIN AWAY THEN I WAS JUDING IT WRONG. SHE SAID NOTHING SHORT OF PUTTING ME IN THE HOSPITAL IN A COMA WOULD RELIEVE THE PAIN. I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF PAIN MANAGEMENT AND MEDICATION, SHE SAYS IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN THEY ARE STRIVING JUST TO HOPE TO BE ABLE TO FUNCTION ONE DAY.THEY DOUBLED MY DILAUDID TO 8MG EVERY 4 HRS AND FLEXERIL 10 MG THREE TIMES PER DAY. IF I TAKE THAT MUCH I MIGHT AS WELL BE IN A COMA. SORRY I'M RAMBLINGG MY QUESTION WAS HAS ANYONE BEEN TOLD THAT IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO MAKE YOUR PAIN GO AWAY EVEN FOR JUST A LITTLE WHILE WITH MEDICATIONS? i'M ON BED REST FOR TWO WEEKS SO I'LL BE AROUND IF ANYONE NEEDS TO CHAT

Amyloo - November 7

Hi Carrie Lee, I know how frustrating it is! For me, if I take enough pain med (darvocet) I get to a place where I don't care that I am in pain, and almost have complete relief . But if I do that I am stoned. Hate it!!!!!! So it is a trade off. I take just enough to take the edge off, but not enough to make me check out mentally. Hope this helps. God bless you, Amy P.S. Sorry you are on bed rest, I hope you feel better soon.

shellthom - November 8

Carrie Lee - No one has told me that, but no one has offered a solution, either. Nothing helps. I am in the same boat as Amyloo - Vicodin - makes me loopy, but I can still feel the underlying pain - I'm just too looped to care. I have a friend that has been diagnosed with CFS, and was prescribed a medication that's given to Diabetes patients for nerve pain - has anyone else been prescribed this (not sure what it's called)?

carrie lee - November 8

shelthorn, are you speaking of Lyrica, or neurontin? Both the same, used for diabetic neuropathies, I've tied massive amounts of both never could tell a difference except in the pocketbook!

Virg - November 8

HI carrie lee, I hope you're starting to feel some release and got lots of books, crosswords etc if you like them. I've been told with the Tylenol 3 I take once in the morning to take the edge off that it will cause rebound pain. Well since I'm in pain 24/7 how would I know its rebound? I've had to get a new doctor and said I didn't like taking drugs. He got this grin on his face and said Why drugs are great. Wonder what he may be taking sometime. You take care and don't get impatient now. Enjoy this bedrest. LOL

carrie lee - November 8

thanks Virg for the support, I am not very good at this bed rest thinf, probably because I am the type of personality that if you tell me I can't do something then I am definitely going to do it. I probaably would have rested more had she not said anything, Sometimes I am my worst enemy and I know that!!!

barbar - November 8

Hi Carrie Lee, I think the pain management works differently for each person, that's why it's such a hard cocktail to prescribe. You don't want to take away all of the pain, otherwise how would you know if your foot were on fire? You just want to take off enough to be able to live. I'm on a whole bunch of meds, including Lyrica, Kepra, Carbotrol and 75mgs of the patch. It's just enough to be able to keep me going but I am still totally fatiqued. I'm convinced we're fatigued because our bodies are working so hard against the pain. We all in more pain than we think we are. We've established little ways of compensating that we don't realize. For example, I walk hunched over. It's because it hurts to stand up straight.

Wanda - November 8

Carrie Lee, Sorry you are in bed rest. Like the rest I think the goal of the meds is just to take the edge off the pain enough to keep going. I can only take 1/2 of flexeril at a time, even at bedtime, cause it wipes me out. I'm too groggy in the morning to function like I need to. I take tramadol in the morning and after lunch. Don't know that it helps the pain that much but it "hypes" me up so I have a little more energy. Get better soon. God Bless.

kaye - November 15

hi i have been on cymbalta for about two weeks and it has worked wonders although i have trouble sleeping now even on my ambien

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question