New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Newly diagnosed with fibro
1 Replies
Jones - March 12

Hi, i've just been diagnosed by my gp as having fibromyalgia (last week). I've had an underactive thyroid for 10 yrs+ but recently completely "crashed"- 2 weeks ago - unable to get up energy to go to work (love my job) , feeling very down, chest and back pain, tingling in left arm and side of face and head, headaches. I suppose my question is, does this condition keep many people off work, should i just go back feeling like this and just get on with things? or if not how long does it take to get over this nasty fatigue? what can i do to overcome it?

JJ1 - March 12

I think your question is one that is unique to each individual. I have been able to continue to work with my FMS but many of my symptoms don't seem as severe as others experience and I work part-time (24 to 30 hrs/wk +/-) on a very flexible schedule. I frequently am able to work from home or go home early on the days I just don't feel good. If I didn't have this flexibility, I can imagine it would be hard to hold down a job. I have seen several posts here regarding people seeking disability due to their inability to work, but most of the stories I recall are of people not getting approved for disability pay. I know this doesn't help you much. On the bright side, usually the bad times (flares) are intermittent. As for the fatigue, I tend to feel less fatigued the more active I become. I know it is a catch-22 -- when you are fatigued it is very hard to get up do anything -- but whenever I manage to put forth an effort, it seems to pay off with feeling much less fatigued. I had an active weekend this past weekend and have felt much better today.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question