New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Mouth sores
21 Replies
MarciaV - January 5

I have been battleing mouth sores like canker sores. do any of you have them with flare ups? They seem to come out then, but now always. I had my Rheumatologist look at them and my GP and both didn't seem to know, but they said they were ordinary canker sores as far as they were concerned and told me to use over the counter meds. LOL, they are just not that easy to get rid of. Thanks for any answers.

mags - January 5

Hi marcia-
I've been having many fibromyalgia symptoms for two months now, which is still not enough time to diagnose it, but my doctors and I are pretty sure it's fibro. Anyway, that whole time I've been having lots of trouble with mouth sores as well--way in the back of my mouth towards my throat. They've been there basically for two months, hurting off and on...I'm not sure what they are. Anyway, let me know if you find a way to get rid of them.

AKFlyfisher - January 21

You might be biting yourself while sleeping. Do you grind your teeth or have bruxism. I do, and bite my tongue at times while falling asleep, like jerking while drifting off to sleep.

Tallulah - February 20

I get them at the back of my throat on and off but they are like blisters and not sore at all, the doctor said i must be run down but they have been coming for about six months.

JoniB - February 21

Hello. I have mouth sores that come & go. I know I have bruxism and bite my cheeks & tongue at night. I spoke with my Dr. about this and she said to stay away from hard or crunchy food like party mix (that tear the mouth up), let your cereal get a little soggy before eating it, try Sensodyne toothpaste, don't scrape the tongue w/cleaner and stay away from cinnamon. Also consider getting a mouth guard to wear at night.

lightgreywolf - February 21

Along with the typical pain and fatigue associated with fibromyalgia, I've been dealing with mouth sores since I was a child. I get them if I eat anything containing a lot of refined sugar or salt, and anything rough textured, as well. I've had to knock all forms of candy and salty snacks completely out of my diet. If I were to eat so much as a single brownie or one of those mini bags of Halloween chips, I would get three or four sores in my mouth within a couple of hours. I get them on my tongue and often the skin peels from my gums and the roof of my mouth. The peeling of the skin is much like having burn blisters. In the long run, it's been a rather good thing for me because I've been forced into maintaining a healthy diet. I haven't eaten any junk food whatsoever for years and I never even put any additional salt on my meals. Fortunately, I'm happy with what most people would consider a very bland diet. Avoiding heavily sugared/salted foods for so long has heightened my sense of taste and made me more aware of the natural, subtle flavours found in basics like meat and vegetables.

JAD3 - March 16

Hi MarciaV, I've been plagued with mouth sores- on tongue- since 1994 and drs and other health care professionals are baffled.

Description : red sores on tongue that have a white outline, sometimes. They are very sensitive and actually feel like they're burning - it's almost like the surface of the tongue has been scraped off in patches. Certain foods- whether texture or flavour- and drinks seem to cause flare-ups.

As I said it's been thoroughly investigated but no-one has found a cause and nothing helps it.

I was diagnosed with FM late last year so it is possibly just another symptom of FM.

Does this description fit your problem?

Fantod - March 16

Ok - I am just grasping at straws here but has anyone investigated this: lichen planus? It is a particularly nasty problem associated with mucus membranes in the mouth. It is NOT cancer or infectious. It occurs most frequently in middle aged people. See a good dermatologist who in turn will send you to a dentist for a biopsy. This condition can be managed and is not life threatening. Please see a good dermatologist for a diagnosis.

Wonka - March 31

I have always been plagued with mouth sores and cankers. When I took gluten out of my diet (I have celiac disease) I stopped getting the sores.

I do occasionally get sores that are from biting myself in my sleep as AKFlyfisher stated.

Fantod - March 31

Has anyone investigated this: lichen planus? It is a particularly nasty problem associated with mucus membranes in the mouth. It is NOT cancer or infectious. It occurs most frequently in middle aged people. See a good dermatologist who in turn will send you to a dentist for a biopsy. This condition can be managed and is not life threatening. Please see a good dermatologist for a diagnosis.

SAHMof2 - March 31

I've had a few too. Plus soreness in the back of my throat. Mostly on the right side.

Muirgyn - April 8

I don't know if it will help anyone else, but I get canker sores from eating just about anything...from dry bread to a couple bites of an apple. As a preventative I switched to a toothpaste that does not have Lauryl Sulfate in it (this acts as a detergent in the toothpaste but is also an irritant on sensitive skin.) Also, when I actually get canker sores, I take L-Lysine which is an OTC natural supplement that can be found in any grocery store or pharmacy. I follow the directions on the bottle, but I think it is 500 mg twice a day until symptoms disappear. Usually takes 24-48 hours for me. Hope this helps.

Agadora - April 12

I have dealt with mouth sores all my life. An old fashioned remedy has helped me tremendously. When I get mouth sores I open a can of pears in heavy syrup. I hold a piece of the pear against the sore with my tongue for awhile before chewing and swallowing it. Apparently the pear neutralizes whatever acid causes the sore because shortly thereafter they clear up. Works every time.

Agadora - April 12

I have been battling mouth sores all my life. An old fashion remedy does the trick. Open a can of pears in heavy syrup. Bite off a piece of a pear and hold it against the sore in your mouth with your tongue. After awhile chew and swallow. The pear neutralizes whatever acid created the sores. It has worked every time for me.

berndtlr - April 25

Dear MarciaV, My mother also had a mouth sore on the right side of her mouth and when it would flare up her tounge to where she could not breath the doctor she was seeing told her it was canker sores and it would go way. it didn,t go away. I finally convinced her to go see another doctor and she did and got test done on the sore it came back as cancer and when my mom got her files from the last doctor he had put cancer sore since the sore showed up by the time we found out it was to late she died 6 months later to mouth cancer and nothing we can do. doctors over rule us even if in black and white own writing we always lose. So please if your doctor doesn,t know then find someone who does before it,s to late

kaime - April 25

Tallulah, I have the same thing...a blister in the back of my throat. I'ts always in the same place. It comes and goes. It seems to be aggravated by salty foods...???

chowda72 - October 7

I did alot of research because i also have mouth soars.

i ave red soars with white edges, i get a blister like soar on my lip, also anything i eat or drink feels like my mouth was sprayed with pepper spray. stress makes my condition flair up.

my doc finally diagnosed me with Burning mouth syndrom its when your immune system starts to attack itself.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question