New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
is this a fibromyalgia symptom?
12 Replies
michellebcusick - February 9

I was diagnoised with fibromyalgia 8 years ago. One of my symptoms, which can be quite debilitating, is that I feel like I'm running a high fever but I'm not.
My temperature stays normal or maybe slightly elevated and yet I feel like I'm going to burn up.
My hands, feet, face and inner thighs feel the hottest. They can be hot to the touch but no fever.
My mouth dries out and so do my eyes.
This symptom is worse at night, especially when I'm trying to sleep.
I haven't seen this addressed/listed as a symptom of fibromyalgia as of yet.
Does anyone else suffer from this symptom?
How do you find relief?

JJ1 - February 9

I don't know if it is the same thing, but I get times when I feel as though I am coming down with the flu or a horrible cold. I don't run a fever even though I feel feverish. I don't recall feeling hot to the touch though and don't recall a particular part of my body feeling hotter. I get a dry mouth and will actually get a sore throat. The symptoms usually only last a day or so. I have read that feeling flu-like is a symptom of fibromyalgia.

dream69 - February 9

The burning is common in fibromyalgia. Try drinking Ginger root tea every night and you will see this symptom will diminish.

JJ1 - February 9

I have heard so much about your ginger root tea that I must try it. However, I want to know if it is working or if it is something else. I am getting an appointment now to get an IV iron treatment to get my iron stores back up so once that is stabilized I will give the tea a try.

dream69 - February 9

JJ1: To be honest with you Ginger root tea by itself will significantly reduce the symptoms of a person with fibromyalgia. I started to drink the tea and I noticed a significant change. My symptoms were reduced by 70%. More important I was able to sleep. Yes, you will wake up once in the middle of the night to urinate but that is it. When I changed my diet my remaining symptoms were reduced also. Finally once I began to do cardio my symptoms almost disappeared. I still have some pain in my tender points but not as much as I did when the disease hit its peak.

JJ1 - February 9

I am willing to give it a try. But right now I am severely anemic (my hemoglobin this week was 5). I have an appointment with my hematologist next week and I am sure she will have me on another Iron IV treatment within the next week or so. Based on past experience, that takes about 2 wks to take affect and allow me to recover from the anemia-related fatigue, leaving me with the fibromyalgia-fatigue. At that point I will start trying ginger root tea and see what happens. If I started right away it would be hard for me to discern what benefit was from the tea and what from renewing my iron stores. But I will try it. It is inexpensive and thus far I have not read of it hurting anything. I think it's benefit is supposed to be its antioxidant properties which are good, so I'll give it a go.

dream69 - February 9

Many medical conditions cause anemia. Common causes of anemia include the following:

External bleeding: Loss of blood through heavy menstrual bleeding, wounds, as well as stomach ulcers can cause anemia.

Iron deficiency: The bone marrow needs iron to make red blood cells.

Anemia of chronic disease: Any long-term medical condition can lead to anemia.

Kidney disease: The kidneys help the bone marrow to make red blood cells.

Pregnancy: Water weight gain during pregnancy dilutes the red blood cells.

Poor nutrition: Vitamins and minerals are required to make red blood cells.

Alcoholism: Poor nutrition and lack of vitamins and minerals are associated with alcoholism. ...........................Uncommon causes of anemia include bleeding disorders, liver disease, thalassemia, infection, cancer, arthritis, enzyme deficiency, sickle cell disease, hypothyroidism, toxins, or hereditary conditions.

dream69 - February 9

JJ1 You should get a bone marrow biopsy

dream69 - February 9

JJ1:Your biopsy may have been negative for celiac disease but did you get an antibody test?

JJ1 - February 9

Thanks Dream69. I have been reading up on causes of anemia and wondered why the bone marrow test hasn't been suggested. Also was wondering how conclusive the small intestine biopsy is in diagnosing celiac. I thought it was more definitive than the blood work for antibodies and the only reason he did it instead of doing blood first was because he already needed to do a colonoscopy and he could combine that with the endoscopy and he also wanted to scope by esophagus to look for erosions due to my GERD. I will look into that more. He has ordered a test to check for blood in stool that would check for internal bleeding not detected by the scoping. I have also read that B-12 (pernicious anaemia) and folic acid deficiencies can lead to anemia and these deficiencies can be from an inability to absorb from food rather than a lack of the nutrients in the diet (it should not be a problem with my diet). My menstrual periods are not abnormally heavy and the gastro doc does not think that alone could result in the significant loss of/lack of iron that I experience with a fairly iron-rich diet. I am back on Slow Fe pills but they have done nothing in the past to help, but thought I should go through the excercise again in case it gives me even a small boost in iron -- I need it.

BRENDA - February 10

Michelle the burning sensation is very normal with FMS!! I do it just before a FLARE!! I have not found anything that will releave it! I have not tried the ginger tea, mainly because I don't know where ot get it, but it does sound reasonable. I have a neck wrap that I keep in the freezer & it does seem to help some.

frangremlin - November 27

Hi I'm glad it's not me. I sleep with v little on as I can't bear heavy items on me when I am trying to sleep or get comfortable. I have found a sheet is quiet cooling, and always having a drink by my bed. I now also can't go out far ~ car ride or down the road unless I am attached to a drink of some sort. Oh my thejoys of FM!??

llcsmom - December 2

This happened to my daughter this morning.

She is 12 but it was like she was having a hot flash--wanted to wear shorts to school in 20 degree weather!! Not!

I checked her temperature just to be sure it was not a fever. Normal temp. She was sweating alot, too. She also has nausea and eye pain--which I just read on this site can go together.
I figured that it is due to the fibro and the nervous system being messed up by the fibro. Bummer!

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question