New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
cajun1966 - November 14

I'm not offically diagnosed with Fibro yet. My doctor thinks I have it, but I have to go throught all the steps first before they will diagnose it.

Anyway, I do believe I have it and one of the main issues I'm having now besides the pain is weight gain. I'm on a 1600 calorie diet and I work out every other day. I've been doing this since August and I haven't lost a pound. I'm so frustrated.

My doctor wants me to go on MERIDA, but I heard it causes high blood pressure. Anyone have any suggestions?

toots2889 - November 14

cajun welcome. I can sympathize. I to am going threew this, and cant lose a pound. I get so fustrated. I wish i had answers for you, but i dont. Im seeing my dr. today to discuss some med. changes and am hoping that will work. Im on Lyrica and am going to see if i can switch to cymbalta. Want to see if this wont help as lyricas side effect is weight gain. Sorry couldnt be of more help.

cajun1966 - November 14

Thanks and good luck to you! If I find out anything from my research I will let everyone know. Have a blessed day!

Fantod - November 14

In order to be diagnosed with fibromyalgia, you need to see a rheumatologist. You can go to the National Fibromyalgia Association website and ask them to give you a referral to a fibro-friendly rheumy in your area. Fibromyaglia and weight gain do not neccessarily go hand in hand. In many instances, the weight gain is brought on by medications such as gabapentin and Lyrica. These are two drugs commonly prescribed to treat pain aassociated with fibromyalgia. Certainly, there is a tendency to over eat as a result of depression and chronic pain but not everyone does this. I would be more inclined to think that you may have a metabolic problem of some sort and your doctor is wise to continue investigating the probable causes. Have you considered talking to a nutritionist to see if or where you might be going wrong with your diet? Have you discussed with your doctor in detail your concerns about going on Merida? The possiblity of high blood pressure may only occur in a small percentage of people. I would hope that your doctor has carefully weighed all of the options available before they made that recommendation. You need to sit down with your primary care physician and have a very candid conversation with them about all of your concerns. Ask them to recommend a nutritionist for a consultation. Take care and enjoy the weekend.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question