New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
flu shot
3 Replies
sally5 - September 15

I was wondering what do you think about a flu shot?

axxie - September 15

My opinion get it, remember we're talking about swine flu. The benefits of flu shots far outweigh the risks. The flu vaccine cannot cause influenza because it does not contain the live virus.

Most common side effect is soreness at the site of injection, which may last a couple of days, or you might notice fever, fatigue and muscle aches within six to 12 hours after the shot, these effects may last a day or two or three for us fibro people. That would also include the usual red eyes and respiratory effects; cough, wheezing, chest tightness, difficulty breathing, or sore throat, it's usually mild in most cases, and disappear within 48 hours to 72 hours for us fibro.

The primary reason to get a flu shot is to protect yourself from health effects related to flu. However, by getting a flu shot, you will also help protect others and reduce the burden on the health care system.

I think it's worth it, and if you get it free, take advantage of it, remember they are talking about swine flu and being pandamic.

Fantod - September 15

I have already gotten my flu shot and a pneumonia shot (due once every 10 years). I am high risk aside from Fibromyalgia. I have gotten a flu shot every year since with mid 80's.

However, I will not be getting the swine flu vaccination. I have had two doctors I really respect tell me not to get it. There have been complications reported - gullien barre. I have been told in no uncertain terms that because my immune system is in tatters and I am subject to ridiculous reactions to medication that this is a risk I should not take. I am satisfied with what I've done so far. I will do a better job of hand washing and using a nasal spray to act as a barrier when I am in public. Take care.

axxie - September 15

Clarification, I was talking only about the influenza vaccine and not the swine vaccine. Sorry for the confusion.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question