Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Fibromyalgia???
2 Replies
wizzbeth - August 6

Hi all,

Would just like some insight into how people were diagnosed and if I should see a doctor??

I'll try and keep it brief....Hers's a little about me....I'm 30 years old and I badly fractured my ankle in Aug 09 had a operation to fix it etc..
It hasn't got any better so had all the metal taken out and still no joy so awaiting a further op the end of Aug.
I have been seeing a private physio for the last four months to help me with problems associated with my ankle i.e. back/hip pain. Today she has told me that after treating me over the last few months she says I have Fibromyalgia and she has treated lots of people with it and I have the symptoms, Mainly pain, horrendous sleeping, extreme exhaustion at times and very tender pressure points, to be honest I put everything down to my ankle....
Has anyone been diagnosed by a physio and began the symptoms of FM after a trauma?? I'm not sure if I should see my doctor or if he will just pass it all off as "In my head" as I had happen with my IBS.
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Liz

Pikespeak - August 8

Hi Liz! Welcome! Yes, FMS can start after a trauma. I had plantar fasciitis/ankle pain as one of my first symptoms, along with finding out that I have a leg-length difference (I now have a small lift inside one of my shoes).

I discovered (with good fortune) that I have something called myofascial pain, where your muscles stick together and you don't have the freedom of movement. The first place was in my ankle! With gentle massage, then going deeper between the muscles to separate them, you might be able to get some relief without surgery! My ortho doctor was debating about casting my ankle/foot or operating BEFORE I discovered the answer!!!

Now this might not be what you have, but I would first make an appointment with a massage therapist who is familiar with myofascial pain.
I won't lie--it hurts to have anyone do this to you, but it really helps. Once you see the results, it's easier to tolerate and it does get better! Having a massage every month or so will help you to keep from having it get as bad. If I could afford it, I'd go every week!

As for the fibro symptoms, see about getting a med or supplement to help you sleep. If you can break the cycle of not sleeping, your muscles will get recharged and you will feel better! Don't take any other fibro meds until you see if this is enough! Read FROM FATIGUED TO FANTASTIC by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum or go to his website, endfatigue (dot) com. He has FMS and CFS! I believe that he is on the right track to finding a cure, or at least a means to make folks with FMS more comfortable! Please write again and let us know how you're doing! This is a fantastic place to get answers/support!

Fantod - August 8

Liz - Welcome to the board. Based on your decription, it does sound like you have Fibromyalgia (FMS). However, you need to see a rheumotologist to get a firm diagnosis. There are other health conditions that can mimic this problem. I'd recommend that you take care of this right away. The longer a chronic pain cycle continues the harder it becomes to manage or stop.

The mechanism that causes FMS is not understood. It is a disorder of the central nervous system which is correctly referred to as a syndrome. Possible triggers are accidents, childbirth, underlying health conditions that cause chronic pain and so on. It is very likely that your ankle injury was the catalyst for FMS.

FMS is recognised by the World Health Organization (WHO), the Centers for Disease Control and the National Arthitis Foundation. It is not a figment of our collective imaginations. Incidentally, IBS is one of the "perks" associated with Fibromyaglia.

Be thankful that the physio told you that you may have FMS. Many people go for years without a correct diagnosis. The resulting stress from being chronically ill and not understanding the root cause can be catastrophic on many levels.

If your doctor passes your symptoms off as an over active imagination than you need to fire him. There are still a lot of health care professionals out there who do not believe in FMS. You will have to be your own best advocate to get proper care.

One of the reasons that you are so tired and sore is lack of restorative sleep. FMS interrupts the deep sleep cycle with short bursts of high intensity brain activity. Your muscles require deep sleep in order to repair themselves from the days activities. No deep sleep means higher levels of pain which rapidly becomes a vicious circle. While you are waiting to see the rheumotologist, you could try using Melatonin which is a natural sleep aid. It is available in any decent health food store. I also use Calms Forte but I am not sure if it is available in the UK.

And finally, go online to Amazon and order the book "Fibromyalgia for Dummies." Like all of the dummies series, it contains good, easy to understand information. Knowledge is power.

Good luck to you and God Bless.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question