New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Fibromyalgia?
7 Replies
allaboutpizazz - May 29

I'm 18 years old, and I've been really ill for the past three years. GERD, IBS, multiple ulcers, gastritis, hiatal hernia, panic attacks, depression plus sleeping problems, inability to write, sensitive to touch, and weight gain that no one's really been able to explain. I'm seeing a primary care doctor, a gastroenterologist, and an endocrinologist now, but none of them have been able to actually diagnose me with anything consequential.

Looking around this site, it sounds like fibromyalgia might be the answer I've been looking for, but I'd rather hear from actual patients before taking it to my doctor and asking about it. My parents already think I'm just a hypochondriac =[

Fantod - June 1

I would suggest that you find a rheumotologist that treats FMS for a firm diagnosis. Call your local hospital physician referral service and ask them. Or, see if they know of a FMS support group in your area and ask the members. I hope you find a solution to all of your health problems. You are too young for all of those issues. And, I hope, for your sake, that it is not FMS. Take care.

Natasha31 - June 1

Hi i was 18 when i was first diagnosed although it took a while and several doctors and tests later, so it is worth getting it underway ask for a second opinion if you feel you are not getting anywere, the sooner you find out the sooner they can start trying to medicate for this, you do feel like your going mad and because this is an invisible illness it is hard for those around you to see it is frustrating but if you do have FMS or ME or both print or show the information to the family and friends and help them understand what you are going through and they can then try and support you, Stick in there Hun Don't take NO for an answer Keep fighting and Chin up Nat x Good Luck!

jacobea - June 1

I am seventeen, nearly eighteen, and i started showing fibromyalgia symptoms when i was barely fifteen, but possibly before. However, it was not until this January that i got finally diagnosed. I too was thought to be a hypochondriac, esp. by the doctor who thought it was just obesity (since proved that i am a healthy weight) and laziness (I am sedentary, admittedly, but dizziness, shortness of breath and worsened pain on moving did not help). I found that going to see a rhuemotolgist helped greatly, not just with making a diagnosis but with explaining fibromyalgia, and the neurologist as well was very helpful, so it is more than worthwhile going to see them. G'luck if you do!

JJ1 - June 2

It is heartbreaking to me that those of you so young are suffering from Fibromyalgia-like symptoms. Since FMS is so often brought on by stressful life events or trauma, I was wondering if there is anything specific event in your lives that could have brought on FMS. I am much older than you and did not have onset until I was in my 40s and taking care of my elderly sick parents while also raising my own children and trying to hold down a demanding full time job. The stress just overwhelmed me.

llcsmom - June 3

JJ1..My daughter is 11 and was diagnosed at 10--started having symptoms at 9. She did not have a MAJOR event (car accident, loss of a family member, divorce of parents) however, she had some more minor stresses going on- Dad yelling alot, dog passed away, etc. which at 10 years old, I guess can be a big stress. I believe that stress and the way that a person handles it (personality) has a part in all of this. I don't think it is the only cause, but I feel (and so does my daughter's counselor) that it plays a big role in FM. Some of the stress has gotten better, but she continues to have almost daily pain and fatigue. Bummer! We've tried alot of alternative therapies and a few medications, but so far, nothing helps.

allaboutpizazz - June 3

JJ1 - Yeah, for a long time this has all just been blamed on stress. There's so much stuff going on that it makes it hard to convince people that this is something real and just relaxing isn't enough to fix it. My parents have been divorced since my mom was pregnant with me and I go back and forth between houses weekly- I basically live out of a suitcase. There are a lot of other things as well- my mom has lupus and has always been pretty ill, a couple family members have died in the past few years, my grades have been dropping rapidly... lots of things.

JJ1 - June 4

I didn't mean to imply that it isn't real because it can be due to stress. Stress and trauma are both thought to be potential triggers for FMS. Believe me, I know it is real because I live with it every day. And llscmom has hit the nail on the head in that how we deal with stress can have a lot to do with it. I know I don't deal with it well at all. The intensity of my symptoms is directly related to the amount of stress I am under. I know everyone is different, and my symptoms seem to be very different from others, making this illness difficult for everyone to understand. I agree, counseling or simply relaxing isn't going to make it go away. allaboutpizazz, sounds like you have had more than your share stressors and potential triggers for FMS. Although you have seen about every type of doctor there is, you should see a rheumatologist for testing for FMS or other illnesses with similar symptoms. I also have GERD, IBS, hiatal hernia and have had sleeping problems in the past, so your symptoms sure do fit the bill.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question