New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
12 Replies
txsunsets - October 15

How do i get rid of fibro fog. I can't get my thoughts together with my words. it is so frustrating. i feel like people look at me like i'm stupid or something. i would appreciate any suggestions. Also the last few days i have this awful taste in my mouth and nothing will take it away. I have tried everything. Could this just be my meds or something else associated with FMS??

tnichel - October 16

First of all, you don't. Not meaning to be smart but you can't just make fibrofog disappear. But you can talk slower... when you get mixed up, stop and start over again. And make sure you're getting enough sleep. I do really stupid things when I don't get enough sleep. The fibrofog comes and goes and I sometimes stutter, lose my words or get tongue-tied. You just have to learn to accept it and even laugh at yourself. That helps me cope. As for the taste in your mouth, a lot of meds can cause that side effect. Also, make sure you don't have any cavities. Try sugar-free lemon drops. They're also good for dry mouth which can also be caused by your meds. I hope this helps. And just to make you feel better, I lost my car in the the wal-mart parking lot just before i was diagnosed. I freaked out and was going to call the police until I remembered I'd parked on the retail side. My neighbor knocked on my door to tell me my keys were still in the door. And more than once I have left shopping bas and the checkout counter. Talk about feeling stupid. My newest thing is forgetting to cut off the stove. I know it's not that easy but you have to accept it and find what's funny in any given fibro-fog situation. Good Luck!

Fantod - October 17

I think trinchel's answer to you was very good. I would add that I think it is important to be proactive about your problems with fibro-fog. You need to tell people exactly what the problem is so they don't speculate. People can be quite cruel in their assesments of others. Openly acknowledging that your illness slows your ability to formulate quick responses and/or speak clearly eliminates idle gossip and uninformed opinions. Also see my response to ibritz on lechitin. Adequate sleep and the ability to rest is extremely important with FMS. Your symptoms of fibro-fog and flares will become more frequent and intense. Finding a balance that works for you is very difficult with FMS. The only thing I can tell you is that you have to respect your body's signals. Otherwise fibro-fog and flares usually become more intense and for a longer duration. Enjoy the weekend and take care.

dwilmoth - October 17

I have really tried to strengthen my memory. has helped some. I do memeory tests and when I meet some one new I keep practicing their name until I "get" it. Do little games like look at 3 things in the kitchen then try to remember what they were when I get to the basement, etc. That said I think I remember some things better yet I still can't think of peoples names that I've known my entire life or a word I want to say even if it's a simple word like screen door. Now if I commit to memeory where I have parked as I leave my car I'm good but if I am in a hurry. I try to remember to do this as I walk away from my car. I repeat to myself' "I parked on the food side of the store by the recycle bin." (over and over) But a couple weeks ago in a hurry I ran into the store came out and saw an old Mercury Mountaineer, same color, same rust, and believe it or not the same keyless entry code, but not the same rugs or contents (I was so scared someone was gonna grab me and yell car theif). I didn't get to check if they also had 186,000 miles, I may have offered a trade, lol.

I however am not as good as tnichel. I haven't found the humor in it and I can get very upset when other laugh at me. But I am trying to give myself more grace. It has helped that I have explained my loss of words to my hubby and in social situations he'll take over introductions and finish my sentences when I go blank.

loveschihuahuas - October 23

Are you by any chance taking Lyrica? I just had to stop taking it because it was causing anxiety attacks and it made my blood pressure take a dive. While I was taking it I was having a stuttering problem, couldn't come up with simple words to complete a sentence and felt like I was losing my mind my memory was so bad. I am so relieved to be off of it but my nerves have started screaming now that I'm off of it. I am much better mentally but physically the pain is worse so I may have to try Neurontin and see if I can handle the side effects of it. Good Luck.

TC and God bless you and yours with each step and breath you take.

carlatate - November 7

i have this problem too, and recently started a new job. i keep thinking i should mention why it sometimes takes me longer to remember things, but...then it seems like a bad idea for them to know about my illness...any thoughts?

Fantod - November 7

Caralate - I think you should say something about your memory issues. If you don't, people will begin to speculate and probably formulate some not very nice ideas on their own. Since you are new at your job, I would leave it at something like "Sometimes, I can be slow about responding or remembering something, but eventually I'll get there." After you've been there a while, then you might be able to confide in a couple of people that you have FMS. To combat fibro-fog, I make sure I get as much rest as possible and I take a supplement called Phosphatidylserine. The best deal I have found on it is at Puritan's Pride website. They call it "Neuro-PS", the product number is 16539. I take 200 mg a day. I do better with take it than without it. Take care.

Gabbie - November 10

When the fog rolls in, it can be very embarassing. I found that if I tried to cover up the fact that I completely forgot what I was talking about I'd end up really blubbering like a complete fool. So, I just explain to the people that know I have fibro what the problem is and then I joke about it and then laugh it off. For those that don't know about it, I just smile and tell them "oh, the brain is just not keeping up today", slow myself down and most of the time, I can "un-fog" enough to laugh and continue on. I have found that trying to keep your sense of humor is one of the most important things when struggling with the daily symptoms of fibro.

raef90 - November 11

I would suggest taking a few supplements might help you on your focus and memory. I find for myself, my favorite product that just works wonders is Focus & Calming from Cedar Bear Naturals. You can google them and find their website, they are absolutely amazing and probably the best liquid herbals you will ever find anywhere. I would also suggest trying to take some ginko biloba and maybe emailing Cedar Bear Naturals and asking what they would suggest for some herbals as it pertains to memory and overall brain function. You can't get rid of it, but you can most certainly try a few things that would help you minimize the effects.

elseedot - November 15

New here, but have been reading some post when I came upon loves chihuahuas post about lyrica. I too had complications with it. I was so swollen, short of breath, dizziness that the cardiologist I saw would not send me home. I had a 4 day stay in the hospital being tested and probed. The pain management dr. I've been seeing put me on Gabitril, and so far no side effects. Neurontin was the first med I was and seemed to not work on me at all. Good luck!

from-fibro-2-college - December 5

Don't worry about that fibro fog. It worried me at first too. I've found that if I just make myself slow down (a few deep breathes will help) and think before I speak, then the words do seem to fall into place. The correct words I should say. As for the bad taste in your mouth, that could possibly from your meds. I did experience the inside of my mouth peeling. Very scary to pull strings of skin from your mouth. That symptom has passed as well. I'm just not in any hurry to experience any new symptoms. It's hard enough just dealing with the pain of fibro. Good luck to you, and God bless!

Sonja44 - December 6

Oh the joys of fibro fog. My favorite is when someone starts talking to me...I see their mouth move...but have no idea what they are saying. Or, read the same sentence 4 times and still not know what you just read. I'm so glad I spent so much time and money on my education...just to have this illness reduce me to a blithering idiot. LOL.

Gotsa laugh or you'd cry...and laughing produces endorphines which help reduce fibro fog :)

solanadelfina - December 6

The fibrofog can be quite irritating, but creative writing has been helping to keep it at bay. Taking a moment to think of the precise description of a mental image or inventing a new metaphor helps exercise the brain. As an alternative, I'm guessing that keeping a journal or doing crossword or Sudoku puzzles might have the same effect. It's not perfect, (I still have to check what time to get up for work three or four times before going to bed occasionally), but it can help. Good luck.

I agree with the consensus that humor is a must-have survival tactic when handling any of the symptoms. Some people start off the day with coffee- I start mine with funny web comics.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question