New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Dr OZ - Oprah September 2009
0 Replies
Fantod - August 14

The latest issue of Oprah magazine has a brief article on page 124 with Dr. Mehmet Oz analyzing different treatments for Fibromyalgia (FMS).

He says that "because Western medicine has been slow to accept fibromyalgia, it is behind in its work. This is an area where patients will want to take a serious look at alternative approaches. Energy-based medicine could offer some important advances in treatment over the next decade, but since it has yet to be tested by independent research, I think it's premature to base your therapy soley on this approach. I'm more impressed by Teitelbaum's supplement regimen (find it at oprah. com/omagextras), and not only because he has tested his theories. I've put patients on this program with very good results. I would add counseling, as it should always be a part of fibromyalgia treatment. If after a couple of months, you don't see improvement, talk to your doctor about drug therapy."

My thoughts are that most of us can not afford alternative treatment which is not a covered expense. So we are saddled with misinformed and sometimes lazy physicians who would rather put one of their own eyes out with a hot poker than treat us for FMS.

Further to that, then we are on a "step up" program with our prescription coverage because the company doesn't want to pay for the drugs as written by the doctor. Or, they just won't pay for it period. Even counseling can be a problem as visits are usually limited and require yet another out of pocket expense.

It is my feverent hope that one day soon, Fibromyalgia will no longer be treated like a red-headed step child and that some alternative medicine treatments will be covered.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question