New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
CHRONIC FATIGUE
2 Replies
ERDISPATCHER - March 19

I was just diagnosed in September with fibromyalgia. My doctor is the most wonderful dr in the world (in my opinion) I just think that there must be better ways of dealing with this almost dehabilitating sickness. I have thought about filing for SSI, but I am scared to. I have a job that requires me to be at my best at all times and I am getting tired of depending on medications to do that. I used to never take medicine becuase i could'nt swallow pills and now I have a strict daily regimine (that at best is masking the severe pain). I also have a bulding disc at L-5 and 2 vertebrae that are out of alignment. I have tried PT and chiropractic along with alot of meds. Is there any hope in site, and although I'm not happy that anyone else has to deal with this, I'm glad to have someone to talk to that has the same thing and understands. Just looking for advice. Feeling helpless in Ohio.

axxie - March 19

Recognizing what we have and living with it, is another puzzle all into itself.

Fibromyalgia, like many other conditions, is not curable right now, but it is very treatable, and there are quite a few ways in which yu can improve your health and quality of life considerably.

Fibromyalgia can be a source of substantial disability. This is especially true if you have had it for a long period of time without adequate medical support. FMS can add stress to everything you do. Nearly everyone with FMS exhibits reduced coordination skills and decreased endurance abilities, although some of this may be due to coexisting chronic myofascial pain (CMP). FMS can be as disabling as rheumatoid arthritis, and about 30% of FMS patients cannot continue in their customary occupations due to their chronic, unrelenting symptoms.

Fantod - March 19

Hello Ohio - I have been handling Fibromyalgia (FMS)for almost 3 years now. I have explored just about every possible treatment plan using both holistic and conventional medical professionals.

I am sorry to say that for the most part that pharmaceuticals are my sole salvation. I do use some homeopathic remedies but must rely on Cymbalta, Amitriptyline and Gabapentin for best results. Even then, I am not pain free but merely tolerable about 40% of the time.

Reading between the lines, I suspect that you have a very high stress job. Stress of any kind is definitely a no-no when dealing with FMS. I'm probably nor telling you anything that you don't already know. I hope that you do something in terms of exercise to deal with it. Tai Chi is a good stress reliever and can be done at home with a DVD.

There really is no "formula" for dealing with FMS. It takes a lot of trial and error and you must be your own best advocate. As selfish as it may sound, you have to come first when it comes to managing this challenging syndrome. Take care and keep in touch.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question