New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
Breathing
9 Replies
Kerrie - July 28

Does anyone seem to have problems with breathing at all due to fibro? Sometimes I feel quite faint and a bit out of breath. I have had a CT scan done ofmy lungs which was fine. The osteopath mentionedmy diaphragm was tight and working inefficiently and that maybe causingpain in my stomach. I wonder if anyone else with fibro has experienced this?

Fantod - July 29

Kerrie - People with FMS are shallow breathers - it is part of the syndrome. No explanation that I am aware of for that particular problem - it just is. Take time periodically throughout the day to make a concious effort to breath deeply (so your stomach moves)through your nose. This is also calming as FMS can create high levels of anxiety.

With regards to the stomach pain, you may have GERD which is silent. Some of us lucky people have GERD which we are well aware of due to chronic heartburn and acid reflux. Other people have silent GERD which causes problems but they don't have the reflux issues or are not aware of them. You could try taking some Zantac for a few days to see if that settles things down.

I know you must be feeling totally overwhelmed by all of this "stuff" you have to learn to deal with. It will get better and you can rely on all of us to help out. Take care.

Kerrie - July 29

Thank you so much for your help. The stomach pain isn;t heart burn or acid, I have had endoscopy's etc done which is finding nothing and I have tried all the tablets!

I also get quite shaky, is this something else fibro sufferers suffer form? This seems to happen when i don't have pains alongwith the breathing soI am not sure if its a case of when I don't have pains i am panicking and this is causing the symptoms? Its nice to talk to peoplethat understand.

Kerrie - July 29

Also my lips regulary change colour from a pale colour to a redish colour as if I have lipstick on. My auntie has rhuematiod arthritis and I know she gets this symptom but is it something you get with Fibromyalgia aswell? Guessing to do with the blood flow?You feel like your going crazy with this condition don't you!

Starchild Moondancer - July 30

Hi Kerrie...dont know if this helps...but recently I looked up a condition called DYSPNEA associated with FM...when I too became worried about difficulty with breathing. When I was in certain places where I received chemical overload...such as the BANK etc ...I found I panicked through shortness of breath. As soon as I got into the fresh air I was ok again. I know immediately I walk into a 'stuffy' environment that I'll have an attack. Constantly have to have fresh air around me...windows open..fan on etc. Hope this may help...x

Starchild Moondancer - July 30

Its on this site under SYMPTOMS...SHORTNESS OF BREATH

toots2889 - July 30

Kerrie-I to have this problem. My physical therapist said that its because of my breathing. She said my breaths were really short and shallow. That my diaphragm was tight. She has me laying on the floor with 5lb weights on my stomach. All i do is lay there and breath. It does work as ive noticed a difference in my breaths-there much longer. Might be worth a try.

Kerrie - July 30

Excellent I will mention that to my osteopath. Doyou get pain in your upper abdomen at all from the diaphragm?

toots2889 - July 30

Yes. But not as much now as I use to. The weights on your stomach force your diaphragm to loosen up and make you take deeper breaths.If you dont have the ankle type weights at home and want to try it first, take a 5lb bag of sugar and put that on there. Thats what I used at first. Now I can put more weight on to work the diaphragm even harder.

Kerrie - July 30

Thats great thank you, I have never found anyone else that has had the upper stomach pain!!! I know if i push down on my stomach it makes it feel better and it almost feels as if i have a large lump there which moves about all over my stomach,guessing the diaphragm?

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question