New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
What OTC med is best?
3 Replies
jakesfnm - November 2

Just severe muscular pain mostly in legs. I'll go to my doctor next week but he's not a fibro believer. In the meantime, what over-the-counter med do you think is best. Also, I had a rheumatologist 8 years ago that gave me a sleep med that he said would induce a deeper sleep stage. I noticed the pain improved. I never felt sleepy the next day. I forgot the name. Anyone have a guess? Thanks to all you supportive people.

eyewuvu - November 21

Ambien is a prescription drug that's really good for sleeping and not feeling drowsy the next day, but if you take it for too long it loses its effect. That might be what you had. I'd find another Dr. btw.

dchristi - September 24

For RLS I take "Leg Cramps w/quinine, Walgreens is the only store I can get it at. It works wonderfully.

Fantod - November 20

Hello - In order to get a firm diagnosis of fibromyalgia you need to see a rheumotologist. You can call your local hospital physician referral service and ask them for a recommendation. You can go to the National Fibromyalgia Association website and ask them for a referral to a fibro-friendly rheumy. OTC medication is not effective for treating fibromyalgia. FMS only responds to certain classes of medication which have to be prescribed. This is why you need a rheumy. The pain in your legs would probably improve if you were getting proper rest. One of the things FMS does is disrupt sleep patterns. Most FMS folks have constant muscular motion whether it is twitches, jerking, spasms or sort of a low grade vibration. The muscles are chronically over-worked whether you are moving or not. Many of us also have restless legs which is a syndrome associated with FMS. Deep sleep is about the only thing that may give you some relief. I would urge you to get into a proper treatment plan if you have fibromyalgia. Ignoring or attempting to doctor yourself may cause a cascade of other things to go wrong over time. The body can only handle so much stress and Lord knows FMS is certainly one of them. I hope my comments are helpful to you in some way. Take care.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question